Methodism began in Mt. Sterling in 1831 by tanner John Puckett, who held classes in his home for three years. The Methodist church, the first church in Mt. Sterling, was built in 1834. In 1859 this brick building was torn down a frame edifice was erected. In 1902 a Sunday school room and choir loft were added.
The frame church building was used by the congregation until 1912, at which time the present building was erected. In 1964, twelve classrooms, a library, office and study, Fellowship Hall, and kitchen were added to meet the needs of the growing church. In 1972, the sanctuary was renovated and in 1985, an elevator was added.
In 1999, renovation began again and included the installation of air conditioning in the Fellowship Hall & education wing, as well as remodeling of the kitchen. The sanctuary renovation was completed in 2005.